Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Apple Berry Crumble



What better way to spend a Sunday than making a crumble? I had some apples and frozen berries that I wanted to use up so I tried my first recipe from Cooking with Apples and Pears by Laura Washburn. I made a slightly different version as I had some slivered almonds I wanted to use up and instead of the fresh blackberries I used frozen mixed berries. It turned out really well and due to the slivered almonds the topping was a little crunchy, which I really liked. 

4-6 servings

900g apples, peeled, cored, cut into small pieces
450g blackberries
50g sugar

For the crumble
80g oats
140g flour
80g light brown sugar
80 g ground almonds
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
150g butter, cut into pieces

Preheat the oven to 200°C (390° F).

Mix the apples, berries and sugar in a bowl and put this mixture into a buttered baking pan.

For the crumble mix oats, flour, sugar, almonds and cinnamon in a bowl. Add the butter and rub into mixture until you get coarse crumble. Top the fruit with the crumble and bake 35-40  minutes until the crumble turns golden brown and the fruit bubbly. Serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream made with vanilla extract and powdered sugar. 


2 comments:

  1. Welllll...yum...yum!!! But it looks like there's strawberries in it!! What are the red things?
    Anyway...I'm sure it was Deelicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope, no strawberries (I don't really like cooked strawberries). The red things are the pieces of apple colored by the berry juices. It was deeelicious. Wish I could've sent you some through Skype ;)

    ReplyDelete