Thursday, May 31, 2012

Acero Gelateria in Basel

Acero Eiscafé

Finding house-made ice cream in Switzerland, at least in the German speaking part, is not easy. You'd think the closer you got to Italy the easier it would be, but something happens between Germany and Italy and it's not the Röstigraben. It's more like the Ice Cream Abyss. This is very hard to deal with as a German-American. In the US you can get ice cream everywhere and there are loads of brands and flavors to choose from. I remember this one time during my last year at UCD while I was living in an apartment with three roommates we at one point of time had over 10 flavors of ice cream in our freezer! Those were the days...And in Germany every city has several gelaterias to choose from. The quality of those gelaterias is a different story, but at least there are options! 


In Basel, when you're really desperate for ice cream, your safest bet is to buy some at Coop or Migros. If your ice cream-must-have-attack (believe me, this does exist!) happens to you during the day and you're close to Sprüngli (Barfüsserplatz or SBB), then you can get their delicious chocolate ice cream-one of my favorite store-bought ice creams. My other favorite brand is Häagen-Dazs. The problem is that it's getting harder to come by in Basel. You can find it at Globus, but CHF 11.90 for one pint is just plain ridiculous. The other day I found it for CHF 9.90 at my favorite Coop Südpark, but there were only two flavors to choose from: Macadamia Nut Brittle and Cookies and Cream. Ironically, my favorite Häagen-Dazs flavor is Vanilla Swiss Almond but I've never seen it outside the US. If you're up for some swanky ice cream you can indulge in the magnificent ice cream at Teufelhof, where one scoop costs CHF 4.50. Their vanilla ice cream is to die for and makes their Eiskaffee almost totally worth the steep price of around CHF 15. They also have other seasonal flavors, such as rhubarb, which are very tasty.


Fortunately since last year there's ice cream to be found in Kleinbasel at the Acero Eiscafé (they also sell cakes and panini but I go there for the ice cream). Their flavors are constantly changing (they offer 12 flavors daily-check their website for the daily offering) and they sell not only regular ice cream, made solely with organic milk, as well as sorbet but also lactose-free ice creams made with organic almond or rice milk. I've already gotten ice cream there a couple of times during the last couple of weeks. Today I had fior di latte, straciatella and amarena. Of those three the straciatella was the best. My favorite flavors I've had so far are the chocolate and the amaretto. I've tried the ones made with nut milks before but still really prefer the regular dairy ice cream. The little courtyard in back of the café is nice to sit in but it feels a little cramped there so I prefer to take my ice cream outside and just a couple of yards away to the banks of the Rhine.


I heard rumors that Acero may have to close due to having too few customers. It would be such a shame! I can see, though, that they would have issues getting enough customers as the café is not easy to find and you have to walk all the way to the back of the café to get the ice cream. I'm sure if they sold it at the front window they'd get much more traffic. I'm crossing my fingers and toes that Acero will make it!

Fior di latte, Straciatella, Amarena

Today's flavors


3 comments:

  1. Oh thanks....now I want some ice cream and we don't have any in the freezer! That is unusual, because we always have at least 2 or 3 pints just in case i get an
    "ice cream attack"!!! I do love my ice cream...guess you can tell that we're related!!!! Come to LA...I'll stock my freezer with all your fav. flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Need to visit you. Soon. That ice cream looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Gail: Do you still make your own mint ice cream? Have you been trying any new flavors?
    @ Juliana: Ice cream is a good reason to visit me :)

    ReplyDelete