Friday, December 18, 2009

Christmas Cookies


For the first time in my life I made more than one or two different kinds of Christmas cookies. It may be the last time as I'm so sick of them already. Fortunately I didn't have to eat them all myself, but was able to pile them onto my coworkers. I may, however, have a lawsuit pending for causing weight gain in the workplace.

I went through several recipes before deciding on which ones to make. I finally settled for Zimtpitten and Brunsli (both Swiss recipes) as well as Triple Chocolate and Linzer Cookies. Zimtpitten are cookies made of ground almonds, lemon rind and lots of cinnamon. Brunsli are also made with ground almonds as well as cocoa, chocolate and Kirsch. Of the four, the Triple Chocolate and the Linzer Cookies were the best, but if you're a chocolate person like I am then the Triple Chocolate Cookies definitely win. They are like a combination of a chocolate cookie, a brownie and a truffle.

Both the Triple Chocolate and the Linzer Cookie recipes are from Field Guide to Cookies by Anita Chu. This little book has turned out to be a real charm. Every recipe I have made so far has turned out to be fabulous. I also really like the introduction to each cookie at the beginning of the recipe and the photos of each cookie found in the middle of the book. The recipes are also really easy to follow.

Triple Chocolate Cookies
1 3/4 c flour
1/4 c cocoa
1 3/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt (I pretty much always leave salt out of sweet recipes)
12 oz ( 340 g) semisweet chocolate
1/2 c (110 g) softened unsalted butter
1 1/4 c dark brown sugar
1/4 c sugar
3 eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 c (6 oz or 170 g) chocolate chips

1. Sift flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt into a bowl and set aside.
2. Melt chocolate in a metal bowl and set over a pot of simmering water, stirring occasionally so it will melt evenly; remove from heat when smooth.
3. In a stand mixer (or in a bowl using a hand mixer, which is what I do), cream butter and sugars on medium speed for several minutes until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla and mix until combined.
4. Pour in melted chocolate and beat until combined.
5. Add flour mixture and chocolate chips and mix on low until just incorporated.
6. Cover dough and refrigerate for about 15-20 minutes until it is firm enough to scoop. (My cookies didn't turn out flat like they were in the picture, but pretty much held the round form. I may have left the dough in the fridge too long. But the cookies tasted great, anyways.)
7. Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). LIne several cookie sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
8. Roll dough into 1 1/2-inch balls and place on sheets about 2 inches apart.
9. Bake for 8-10 minutes--cookies will still appear soft but will firm up upon cooling. Cool cookie sheets on wire racks before removing cookies with a metal spatula.

Makes about 5 dozen cookies.

Store in airtight container for up to 2 weeks (or until all gone ;))


3 comments:

  1. Great Adriana, I liked your christmas cookies blog. Right now, i am craving for some cookies though. Anyways, good job. Keep writing. I enjoyed ur anecdotes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will have a class action lawsuit on your hands since I am also gaining weight from your recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do I get to try some? Good thing no one at my office has decided to file a lawsuit against me due to weight gain!

    ReplyDelete