Saturday, July 19, 2008

Café Neuer in Nürnberg



Finally I have found a place that sells excellent cakes in Nürnberg! I was already giving up hope when one day not too long ago I went to Café t9 and they were serving these cakes from Café Neuer. I had never heard of the café before. I tried their cakes at t9 a couple of times and one day while my mom and I were downtown we decided we needed a sweet fix so we thought, why not check out Café Neuer? When we got there I was thrilled to see they had a large selection of cakes (and other sweets). They had cakes with chocolate, with fruit, and with other fillings. They also had a large selection of small individual mousse cakes either with fruit or chocolate. The only negative thing about the café is that the interior is quite hideous and definitely not a place I would like to sit down and enjoy a nice piece of cake. I find this quite disappointing since I like finding cafés to frequent. In this case, I would recommend getting the cakes to go. 

Last week I had friends from California visiting me and I thought it would be great to treat them to some German cakes. So I headed over to Café Neuer and selected some cakes. It was really hard to decide, but I finally chose the following cakes (see photo above):
  • Poppyseed cheesecake with streusel topping (this is a common cake found in Germany)
  • Chocolate hazelnut mousse with hazelnut filling (in the photo the glaze is a little damaged from transportation)
  • Raspberry mousse with fresh raspberries on top 
  • Spanish vanilla cake: a spongy layer cake with chocolate bits and filled with cream, topped with a layer of marzipan (I LOVE marzipan in cakes)
All the cakes were delicious, but I would say that the chocolate hazelnut mousse and the Spanish vanilla cake were my favorites. So far, though, all the cakes I have tried have been good and they are all really fresh. This cannot be said for many cake shops, especially when they have a large selection. None of the cakes from Café Neuer have had the dreaded "fridge taste". Do you know that taste? It's when the cream filling in cakes or other pastries (which because of the perishability of the cream are stored in the fridge) has some off-flavors. The off-flavors come from lipid (fat) oxidation in the cream. And the longer the cake sits in the fridge the more the lipids oxidize. Therefore, fresh cake=no oxidation of lipids=no disgusting fridge taste!

4 comments:

  1. Forgive my ignorance, but what is this delicious thing known as streusel? I know what strudel is...

    I love marzipan in cakes too! A delicacy all-too-seldom found in America. I remember there was this European-style cafe I used to frequent (run by a Moroccan guy, if I remember correctly) that sold a delicious Princess cake coated in Marzipan. Alas, that's a faraway shangri-la now...

    This hellish fridge taste you describe... I've always despised it, but never consciously singled it out as a taste. Now I see that it's intimately related to the fridge, and I will keep it in mind to eat baked goods when they are fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comments! I realized I needed to change some things in my post to make it more clear. It's edited now!

    Streusel is a crumb topping on cake. It's usually made of flour, sugar, and butter and is delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to hear you've found a great cake bakery. There is no such thing here in Glendale or anyplace around here. I really don't know what is so hard about making really good cakes. And the dreaded "frig" taste is something they so often have. I remember when your Dad and I were growing up in Van Nuys, there was the most delicious Swedish bakery and they make a delicious Princess Cake. I have never had anything that good ever again! Even grandma used to buy them and you know she would NEVER buy a store made cake!!! I only wish I could be there to sample more of them with you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We'll have to go there sometime! Sounds really good. And I HATE fridge-taste, too.

    ReplyDelete