Monday, July 28, 2008

1 Schnitzel = 2 Beers



Summertime is Biergarten time! Now, if you had asked me a year ago I wouldn't have agreed with that statement since I just recently started actually liking beer. I know, it's shocking! Back when I lived in the US people would have a cow when I told them I didn't drink beer because I didn't like it: "But you're German! You have to like beer!" Nyah nyah nyah. Well, things have changed now. I've developed an appreciation for the bitter liquid. But I don't drink just any beer. I still prefer dark beers to light ones because they are more smooth and have more intense flavors.

Keeping this in mind I have really started liking Biergartens (Bier=beer, Garten=garden). They are basically outdoor restaurants that serve beer (and other drinks) and food. This summer is the first time I went to the Kopernikus Biergarten in Nürnberg and it is by far my favorite one. It belongs to the Kopernikus Restaurant and is located right on the ancient city wall of Nürnberg. The food is a combination of Polish and Franconian specialties since the restaurant is located in the Krakauer Haus, which belongs to the city of Krakow, Poland (German spelling: Krakau).

The last time I went to Kopernikus Biergarten was when my visitors from California were here. I told them they couldn't leave Nürnberg without trying the Schnitzel at Kopernikus! At this restaurant the Schnitzel (breaded pork fried in a pan) is huge (see photo above)! There's a common German saying that one Schnitzel is the same as two beers (in Germany beer is its own food group). Well, in this case 1 Schnitzel= at least 3 beers! Not only is the Schnitzel huge, it is served with a large portion of fries (German: Pommes Frites, stolen from the French language) or potato salad (German: Kartoffelsalat). We tried both combinations and both were really tasty. I was a little disappointed, though, that they didn't have Heinz ketchup to go with the fries. Instead they had this other nasty German ketchup that tasted too much like vinegar. 

After we ate and had some beers we decided to go downstairs and have cocktails at Bar Europa, which is also located in the Krakauer Haus. That bar is amazing! They have the most comprehensive drinks menu I have ever seen. The night we were there I had a Flying Kangaroo and a Golden Cadillac. Both were outstanding! Needless to say that bar is now my favorite cocktail bar in Nürnberg. One piece of advice, though, if you ever go there: Beware of the complimentary peanuts--they are totally addicting and you get free refills...




2 comments:

  1. Tasty. I love it. I have read most of your entries now. Phew. I am very hungry now. Muy buenas las descripciones que tú haces de la comida. Además, siempre explicas el por qué de las cosas. ha! ¡Maravilloso!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love the Schnitzel, but you can have the beer!! I applaud you for aquiring a taste for the stuff...I have never been able to even have more than one sip!

    ReplyDelete