Thursday, July 10, 2008

Calzones and Cookies

I had invited a friend over for dinner for Wednesday evening. After plowing through many recipes I finally decided I would make calzones for dinner and ice cream sandwiches for dessert. 

As I wrote in my last post I haven't always had good experience with yeast. Although my latest experience with yeast was really good I decided to start the calzone dough early in the day just in case my last success had been a fluke. For the dough I used the recipe for Calzones with Cheese, Sausage, and Roasted Red Pepper on epicurious.com. I had no problems. In fact I couldn't keep the dough from rising! I punched it down many times and even put it in the fridge hoping to slow it down and it still went berserk. Very good recipe, is all I can say! For the filling of the calzone I used the recipe Double-Cheese and Prosciutto Calzone. I was thrilled when I found the recipe because it reminded me of a calzone that Cafe Bernardo in Davis used to serve. The calzones turned out really well! However, they didn't really turn brown. That may have to do with the type of oven we have. But the taste was still fabulous! 

For the ice cream sandwiches I used Häagen-Dazs vanilla ice cream (just about the only brand of ice cream I eat in Germany since most other brands use vanillin, which is articial vanilla, and I can't stand it!) and triple chocolate fudge cookies from Cannelle et Vanille (a food blog with beautiful photos that always make my mouth water). This is the first time I used a recipe found on a food blog and my experience was really good. The ice cream sandwiches were heavenly. Must I mention that the cookies are great for breakfast the next day? 



2 comments:

  1. LOVE the new look of your blog. Very tantilizing!!! Did you set up the picture and take it? I only wish you'd had a picture of the calzones. But that cookie looked so good I wanted to bite my computer screen!! I'll have to try them. Sounds like you've mastered "yeast"! Congrats. I've always been much to intimidated by it to even give it a try.
    Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The picture is of a brunch I had while in Copenhagen a few years ago. It was sooo good!

    ReplyDelete